Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idea for better shifting
Your code looks great for gears but unfortunately no way to enter infinity for GearAmount. To get the best out of enviolo hubs requires a totally different code, I’ve spent the past 4 years developing it. It’s on my Arduino project hub page if you’re interested https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/erose

As for timing the shift at the dead spots of the pedal stroke, I’m a little concerned its going to be difficult to get the shift to happen at a precise time. Sprockets have ramps on them to initiate a shift when the teeth are correctly aligned for easy meshing. Will depend on how many ramps there are and the rpm as to what the time variation is.
I wouldn’t bother with a second reed switch or worry about the speed of the servo. The shift doesn’t need to happen on the first dead spot it could be the second or even third assuming cadence isn’t changing rapidly. Getting the optimum timing could be a little tricky, sort of situation you need a high speed camera.

I added this timed shifting into my code purely for energy saving. The hub shifts under load without issue but has more resistance. I never really worked out what the best timing values were and realistically I don’t think it makes a lot of difference to battery life. At one point I had my homemade power meter outputting pedal torque as often as it would suffer. This was picked up by the auto shifter and put along side servo position. The results weren’t very conclusive.

Messages In This Thread
Idea for better shifting - by Ed_R - 09-08-2020, 03:54 PM
RE: Idea for better shifting - by visitor007 - 09-08-2020, 04:07 PM
RE: Idea for better shifting - by Ed_R - 09-08-2020, 09:35 PM
RE: Idea for better shifting - by Jan Oelbrandt - 09-09-2020, 07:08 AM
RE: Idea for better shifting - by Ed_R - 09-09-2020, 08:45 PM
RE: Idea for better shifting - by Jan Oelbrandt - 10-03-2020, 03:11 PM
RE: Idea for better shifting - by Ed_R - 10-05-2020, 01:17 PM