Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idea for better shifting
A fellow auto shifter enthusiast here. Been having a nosy at your code, very impressed. I can tell it’s been developed over some time and had considerable thought put into it.
I'm too addicted to my enviolo (NuVinci) hubs to want to build one and don't really like derailleur gears. Therefore the following is just a suggestion and not able to test it myself.

I noticed in the code and could hear in the video that the servo only moves to the next gear position. Mechanical shift levers have a tendency to move the derailleur past the next sprocket and then drop back to the next position. Think its only when shifting to an easier gear but it helps with quicker shifting.

My suggestion is that this could be programmed in so that the servo does to same thing. Slightly over shift and then drop back, not sure for how long or by how much. Something to test if you want or perhaps the shifting is fine and this isn’t needed.

Also just remembered something else that has almost made me build a derailleur auto shifter just to test it and that is.

Time the shifts to happen at the dead spot of the pedal stroke.
As far a I know this isn’t implemented on any electronic shifting due to the need for a cadence sensor. However you have a reed switch for cadence measurement so the position and timing of the crank is known.
Would love to know if it could remove the need to ease off the power when shifting.

Messages In This Thread
Idea for better shifting - by Ed_R - 09-08-2020, 03:54 PM
RE: Idea for better shifting - by visitor007 - 09-08-2020, 04:07 PM
RE: Idea for better shifting - by Ed_R - 09-08-2020, 09:35 PM
RE: Idea for better shifting - by Jan Oelbrandt - 09-09-2020, 07:08 AM
RE: Idea for better shifting - by Ed_R - 09-09-2020, 08:45 PM
RE: Idea for better shifting - by Jan Oelbrandt - 10-03-2020, 03:11 PM
RE: Idea for better shifting - by Ed_R - 10-05-2020, 01:17 PM